Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Welcome to Newark Liberty

After literally being up in the air for less than 50 minutes, we have arrived at Newark. My favorite part of the quickest flight ever? As I was looking for the power outlet between our seats, my mother says, 

"Oh, there's a red tab here, is this it? Should I pull it?"

Ah...that's the life vest!

Coming in, we had a great view of the Empire State Building as well as the new Freedom Tower.

"New York, New Jersey, that's right," she said as if the two states proximity was breaking news. 

And just like that, we were on the ground  - much to her dismay. 

"I was just starting to enjoy myself and now we're going down."

"Would you like us to stay up here longer, then?"

The look on her face is one I'm sure I will see again in the next 9 days.

Now we are in the United lounge, which is not nearly as nice as Boston's. We just chatted with a family who was doing a big trip to Germany, but I got the feeling they weren't too thrilled to hear my advice on where to go and eat. They've now joined their brood of children, so we have the area to ourselves. Around the bar, the crowd of travelers watching the World Cup match between the U.S. and Belgium is insane. I will either have to congratuate my friend Serge on Sunday or he will have to buy me a drink in celebration of us.

Just now, my mom actually wandered around the lounge by herself. She's picked up more cheese and crackers and is now trying to force me to have some chocolate chip cookies. She was however, THIS close to taking the White Russian I offered to buy her. It's a long flight ahead - I may still try and get her drunk enough to fall asleep. 


No comments:

Post a Comment