Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Queen's Terminal

"Oh, I like traveling like this," my mother just said as we are sitting in the brand new United Lounge at Heathrow. 

And, that was the reason I upgraded last night. This airport is massive and Rosemarie made it through all of London, but in this huge vast space that is the Queen's Terminal, she's a bit on the lost side. Getting checked in was especially easy and only after we were at the bin xray did I think to use her age to our advantage and get front of the line. The security guard wanted me to go through first, and when I balked and pointed to my mother, he was very polite and said that he would take care of getting her through. 

"Stay there, Madam," he said in his crisp British accent. "I'll be right with you."

And, with that, the Brits impressed me even further. While walking to this lounge was just as bad as maneuvering the South Kensington Tube stop, we eventually made it up the lift to this very posh United Lounge. My mom has had a hot breakfast and when I told her to stay put in her chair and wait for me, she did just that. After we finished, I found us a lovely couch to relax in.

"She made it all over London," I said to our table companion who smiled at me after I successfully placed Rosemarie on the couch. "But here, she gets out of sorts."

"You're a good son," the woman who was sitting across from us at the table said as I moved my mother to a new area.

And, I thought to myself, yes. Yes, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment